Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Hugo Roundup: Dramatic Presentation - Long Form

This was a really good year for movies, which is part of why I didn't see half of the nominees.

1. Annihilation - based off of a Jeff VanderMeer novel. Didn't see it.
2. A Quiet Place. Didn't see it, also it's horror, which tends not to do well.
3. Sorry to Bother You. Didn't even hear of it. Must have an organized fanbase.
4. Avengers: Infinity War. Crossover syndrome. I understand how it got nominated, but it doesn't deserve to win. Based off of the fact that Disney didn't nominate it for Oscars in favor of Black Panther, they even know it doesn't deserve to win. It was fun, but...
5. Black Panther. Until December, I thought this was going to be my hands down winner. Well acted, well written, and some of the most amazing worldbuilding I've seen. Plus, those costumes.
6. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. As I said. Until December, when Sony dropped what is, in my opinion, the best animated feature of the decade, if not the century.

My pick: Obviously Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
My prediction: Really hard to tell without having seen half of the nominees. Given it's award record, though, I'm going to stick my neck out and say Spider-Man has it. The Hugos have not been slow to reward animation in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment