Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Hugo Roundup: Best Novel

Here we go again:

1. The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal. This novel reminded me why I have been so tired of alternate history. Far too many alternate history are "The Bad Guys Won World War II Or the Civil War." Which...yeah. The Calculating Stars is alternate history in a different vein. Dewey beats Trueman in the Presidential election, but this is apparently to fix an error in a related book. The real divergence point is when a planet killer hits Washington, D.C. in 1956. Humanity must now get off the planet. With 1950s technology. It's brilliant.
2. Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers. Sadly, the most recent of the Wayfarers books is the weakest, with more worldbuilding than plot. It's still a very interesting read.
3. Revenant Gun by Yoon Ha Lee. I think I said everything I need to about the weird Asian space opera in the Series writeup. Still awesome.
4. Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente. Technically, I should be absolutely behind space Eurovision Song Contest in the vein of Douglas Adams. Unfortunately, it missed my funny bone. Sorry, Ms. Valente.
5. Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik. I adore Novik's twisted fairy tales with an Eastern European feel. If that's what you're into, buy this book.
6. Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse. I've seen more than one "Global natural disaster reawakens magic" fantasy. But never one that's Navajo. I prefer Roanhorse's shorter works, but this was still a very interesting read. Without a single white person in it.

My pick: Spinning Silver. Marginally.
My prediction: Probably The Calculating Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment