Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Hugo Roundup: Best Related Work

It was probably a lot easier to judge this category when it was "Best Non-Fiction Book." I'm not saying including other formats isn't a positive change, but how do you compare a book to a website to a documentary?

Note, this category gets really quite meta in a couple of places. Oh, and also quite, quite controversial.

1. An Informal History of the Hugos by Jo Walton. Biggest example of meta. A book about the Hugos nominated for a Hugo. It's a 400 plus page tome and while I love Walton's fiction, I found her non fiction style dry and repetitive. Sorry, Jo.
2. The Hobbit Duology (documentary in three parts). Yup, a documentary. Really nice production values for an amateur production. They even managed to get the money to go to New Zealand (If they crowdfunded it I missed it, I have to figure that's what they did). Somebody on their team has some good graphic design skills, too.
3. Archive of Our Own. Hail controversy! "Should an entire website be eligible?" "Should fanfic be eligible?" I eventually came down on the side of yes because AO3 is a fan work site, while it's best known for it's fiction it also hosts a fair bit of non-fiction. But there were even more arguments about this than over Hidden Figures and Apollo 13, both of which had people saying true story movies about science don't count as science fiction.
4. Astounding: John W. Campbell, Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, L. Ron Hubbard and the Golden Age of Science Fiction by Alec Nevala-Lee. If this is accurate, Hubbard was even more of a jerk than I thought. Very well written, but perhaps only of interest to a relatively small number of fans.
5. The Mexicanx Initative Experience at Worldcon 76. Technically another website, but they gave us a book. Of interviews of Mexican and Mexican-American Worldcon attendees. I did say there was meta! Be warned, if you do read this. There are recipes. I found the accompanying anthology a little too literary.
6. Ursula K. Le Guin: Conversations on Writing. A transcript of an interview with Ursula K. Le Guin, conducted by David Naimon. Has the "Writer is dead" cachet.

So.

Deep breath.

My pick: Astounding. But I understand that I may be the target audience for this book, and I have no idea how I didn't find it.
My prediction: Archive of our Own. The Organized Fandom factor is just far too strong here. There are probably people who bought a supporting membership just to vote for it. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's a definite factor.

No comments:

Post a Comment