Friday, June 28, 2019

Hugo Roundup: Best Graphic Story

No Ms Marvel for the first time in a while. Saga is still getting nominated like clockwork (I actually don't really vote for it any more because of how much they've already won.

1. Saga. See note above.
2. Abbott. This is an interesting creator-owned work by the new Ms Marvel writer, Saladin Ahmed, from BOOM! It's black urban fantasy set in Detroit and I really quite like it.
3. Paper Girls, Volume 4. Paper Girls isn't my favorite Vaughan. I find it just a little weird.
4. Black Panther: Long Live the King. Okay, riddle me this. How many times has a writer been nominated for a Hugo in both Graphic Story and a prose category? I don't think it's ever happened before, so go Nnedi Okorafor. She's matured tremendously as a writer this year.
5. On A Sunbeam. It's nice to see a web comic nominated, but I can think of ones I like better. It's cute, though. And very, very gay.
6. Monstress, Volume 3: Haven. I don't care much for Monstress. I care even less for it when I'm trying to read a digital comic where the lettering is messed up. As in, the provided copy was completely unreadable. I feel sorry for Liu and Takeda. Image, you can do better.

My pick: Abbott. Mostly because it's original and different and I really quite like Ahmed's work.
My prediction: Black Panther, even though I didn't place it that high. I will say the difference between 1 and 5 was minimal for me. And 6 was let down by a poor copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment