Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Hugo Roundup: Best Series

Okay, here we go.

In the order on the site:

1. The Centenal Cycle, by Malka Older. This series simply missed for me. It's an intriguing cyberpunk libertarianish concept, and the story is good. I just, for whatever reason, can't get into Older's voice. It doesn't hold my attention, as many form rejections say.
2. The Laundry Files by Charles Stross. Entertaining, but not quite my thing.
3. Machineries of Empire by Yoon Ha Lee. Fascinating Asian-flavored space opera. Or science fantasy. It's definitely not science fiction when you have starships powered by...well. Apparently it's based off of some Korean legends. But it's a fun read.
4. The October Daye Series by Seanan McGuire. I've always loved this series (although increasing diversity by calling things fae that simply aren't is a stretch). The romance is a bit too slow burn for me. Get married already!
5. The Universe of Xuya by Aliette de Bodard. Intriguing concepts, interesting worldbuilding, but I was struggling to really grasp the world. I think this was a flaw in the samples chosen.
6. Wayfarers by Becky Chambers. Book two got me yelled at for not going to bed. Chambers writes exactly the kind of science fiction I like. It's all about interspecies relationships, although book 3 kind of gets a bit "I've done my worldbuilding, and now you're going to suffer for it" in places.

My pick: Wayfarers
My prediction: The Laundry Files

No comments:

Post a Comment