Monday, June 24, 2019

Hugo Roundup: Best Short Story

This was extremely tough. Short fiction is, for obvious reasons, one of the most competitive categories, if not the most competitive.

The Court Magician by Sarah Pinsker - an interesting treatise on magic and it's various forms.
The Rose MacGregor Drinking and Admiration Society by T. Kingfisher - hilarious. It's a fairy tale, but not in the traditional way. And not a normal twisted tale either.
The Secret Lives of the Nine Negro Teeth of George Washington by P. Djeli Clark - Afro fantasy at its finest.
STET by Sarah Gailey - Amusing, and I would have picked it if it was more...well. More SF.
The Tale of the Three Beautiful Raptor Sisters and the Prince Who Was Made of Meat by Brooke Bolander - another fairy tale. They were both in  Uncanny, so I think I need to send them some fairy trales.
A Witch's Guide to Escape: A Practical Compendium of Portal Fantasies by Alix E., Harrow. Librarian fantasy. I love librarian fantasy.

My pick: A Witch's Guide to Escape
My prediction: Who the heck knows. They're all too good.

No comments:

Post a Comment