Friday, June 29, 2018

R.I.P. Harlan Ellison

I was going to do the Hugo Fanzines today, but it will have to wait until Monday.

I was never a fan of Harlan Ellison's original work - "I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream" disgusted me rather than scaring me.

But I did enjoy "The City at the Edge of Forever," perhaps because it was rewritten heavily by others (the original version was, as one might expect for an author often better known for his horror, too dark). He also did some work for The Man From U.N.C.L.E., The Twilight Zone, Babylon 5 (he co-wrote "A View From The Gallery"and "Objects In Motion" and was a consultant).

He was also, by all accounts - I never met him - a jerk. He hassled fans at conventions...but he also had people who genuinely cared for him. I mean, we're talking about a guy who mailed a publisher a dead gopher in protest...and marched to Montgomery.

But you don't have to like somebody's work to appreciate their talent, and you don't have to like a man to know there are those who will miss him profoundly. The entire field will miss Harlan Ellison.

No comments:

Post a Comment