Friday, June 1, 2018

Oh...my.

As all of my friends know, I keep my funny bone in a rather odd place. The first Deadpool movie really got to me. So did parts of Thor: Ragnarok.

Now, part of it was growing up on British comedy, which is not the same as American comedy.

One of the shows I grew up with was a sitcom called 'Allo 'Allo. It was set during World War II in occupied France...and a lot of people would be offended by the very idea.

'Allo 'Allo was hilarious. It mocked the Nazis and the French resistance. It featured such gems as a French shopkeeper wearing a necklace of onions, a British spy who spoke English with a bad French accent so as to code for speaking French with a bad English accent.

For the Gestapo agents in town they cast a man with a limp and the most Jewish looking Jew that ever did Jew.

Was it offensive? Sort of...but it was a grand tradition of Nazi mocking that nobody has matched to this day. And right now, we need some Nazi mocking.

And apparently Taika Waititi agrees with me.

His next movie is an anti-war satire set during World War II.

In which Waititi himself will play.

Hitler.

Laughing at evil reduces its power. The very idea of a Polynesian guy playing Hitler already has me shaking slightly in my seat. (I mean, he's Hitler as the protagonist's imaginary friend, but...still...)

I don't do comedies.

But I might have to check out this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment