Monday, July 2, 2018

Hugo Thoughts: Best Novelette

I was kind of underwhelmed by the novelette offerings this year. None of the six blew me away and it was hard to choose a winner.

A Series of Steaks by Vina Jie-Min - I do like a good caper, and this was definitely a good caper, but I didn't quite understand the economics behind the beef forging.

Children Of Thorns, Children Of Water by Aliette de Bodard - This was honestly the best offering, despite my general dislike of vampire fiction. The relationships between the characters were interesting and the "test" the protagonist has to go through is highly entertaining.

Extracurricular Activities by Yoon Ha Lee - A prequel to Ninefox Gambit, but the length didn't allow for much worldbuilding. The biggest weakness was that if you haven't read Ninefox Gambit, you might not understand everything going on here.

Small Changes Over Long Periods Of Time by K.M. Szpara - more vampire fiction, this time using vampirism as a metaphor for transition except it's also transition. Brilliantly written, but not to my personal taste. (Not the trans part, the vampire part).

The Secret Life Of Bots by Suzanne Palmer - Amusing, reminds me of A Star To Steer By...which means I liked it probably more than it deserved.

Wind Will Rove by Sarah Pinsker - An interesting thought on folk music and tradition versus innovation, but I didn't feel there was much of a story.

My pick: The Secret Life Of Bots, but I admit I'm biased.
My prediction: Children of Thorns, Children of Water

No comments:

Post a Comment