Monday, June 11, 2018

Thoughts on Solo - A Star Wars Story (Spoilers)

(By the way, I already left for Origins. I queued this because I didn't want to wait a week on it).

Solo was a good movie, but not a great one - I found it stronger than the prequels but weaker than any of the other new movies. (But it was definitely not terrible).

The largest problem from my perspective was that Ehrenbach did not carry his own movie well. I was hoping he would do a better job. He Shatnered on occasion...I haven't seen him in anything else, so I don't know how much of it was having to follow Harrison Ford, which has to be nervewracking for any actor. I was also underwhelmed by Clarke (Qi'ra).

Donald Glover was a bang up Lando (and, by the way, if the Ao3 Han/Lando tag doesn't explode, then I don't know what movie you were all watching).

Now for the spoilerriffic stuff.

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

I would have liked to see early Han a little bit darker, but he did shoot first in a scene clearly put in there just to give him the opportunity to shoot first. Thanks for the fanservice.

I did not know I needed an explanation for why the Falcon is the only ship we ever see flown without droid assist until I had one. (And Waller-Bridge did a bang up job as a particularly ornery droid). See, the Falcon doesn't need droid assist because she is a droid. And thus semi-sentient. "This is the ship that did the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs."

Btw, they explained that too. In the rather obvious way of "They took a very dangerous shortcut."

And I particularly appreciated the Great Train Robbery in space. (They actually just...did the Great Train Robbery. It was fun).

The complaints about Leia not being Han's first love are, incidentally, ridiculous. He was old enough to have had two or three. The person we end up with isn't usually our first love. Sure, it can happen that way, but...

And the entire wardrobe full of capes was an awesome touch.


No comments:

Post a Comment