Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Hugo Thoughts - Best Short Story

This was the toughest choice so far, but I often find short story that way. In fact, I changed my rankings more than once between finishing reading them and writing this.

Carnival Nine by Caroline M. Yoachim - a delightful story about disability and the weight of caring for a disabled child. The worldbuilding is nonsensical in the true sense. It's not supposed to make sense. A love of carnivals also shines through.

Clearly Lettered In A Mostly Steady Hand by Fran Wilde - this one was also very much about disability, but I found it a little too strange and "literary" for my taste. Still very well written.

Fandom For Robots by Vina Jie-Min Prasad. This is the only story with an obvious flaw: It has no ending. Interesting characterization, though.

The Martian Obelisk by Linda Nagata. The folly of hope. That's pretty much all I can say about this story without spoilers.

Sun, Moon, and Dust by Ursula Vernon. Turns several fantasy tropes on their head. I liked it.

Welcome to your Authentic Indian Experience by Rebecca Roanhorse. I said not too long ago that I wanted more Native voices in science fiction (and the packet contained an entire book of them, that I'll read at some point). All I can say about this story is that it will make you uncomfortable, unless you're very very much not white. Everything else...just dang.

My choice: Welcome to your Authentic Indian Experience
My prediction: Honestly not sure, I'm going to go with The Martian Obelisk, but it SHOULD be Welcome...

No comments:

Post a Comment