Monday, July 9, 2018

My Favorite Superhero

Those who know me might be surprised by the answer. You might think, given my huge fondness for the CW TV show, that it's the Flash. Anyone who knows me well knows of my affection for certain WildStorm characters, most notably Jack Hawksmoor, Jenny Sparks, Apollo, and Midnighter.

But no. If I have to pick one favorite, it's...Spider-Man.

Peter Parker, that is (I am thrilled Miles Morales exists, and I know how much he is appreciated, but I'm too much of a dinosaur to jump ship).

Growing up in the UK, American comics were hard to find. There was no comic store to go to. My introduction to superheroes was Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, which probably has something to do with it. Of course, I loved Firestar, I "had" to because she was the girl. But there was something about the scrappy little guy (in the cartoon, he was changed into a mutant, to make him the same as Firestar and Iceman).

I loved the character so much I even gained some enjoyment from the awful, and mercifully mostly-forgotten Amazing Spider-Man films. Those are the ones in which Spider-Man never talks. But it was Spider-Man, so...

So, why is this relevant? Because Steve Ditko - co-creator of Spider-Man and Doctor Strange, amongst others, died this weekend at the age of 90. Ditko was the one who did all of the details, building on Stan Lee's original idea. The iconic costume? All Ditko.

So, thanks bud. I owe you one.

No comments:

Post a Comment