Monday, April 14, 2014

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I'm a nitpicker. I usually find dozens of things wrong with every movie I watch.

This time, I was struggling. Okay, there were a few times when they did scenes setless and I could tell - that technology still isn't quite there yet even on a movie budget.

But that's it. I'm not sure I liked what they did with SHIELD, but I'm willing to give it a chance and see how things develop from here (most especially in the TV show).

Samuel L. Jackson kicked even more butt than usual - some of it literally. It was nice to see Fury shown as something other than a desk jockey.

The appearance of Falcon (who was, by the way, the first African-American superhero created) gave Marvel an opportunity - and they took it! They gave him a new origin closer to his Ultimates origin than the comics, and one which made him a solid, positive role model for black men. We need more of those. I want to see more of the character.

The fight choreography was absolutely superb. This is something I'm very picky about (I also love the fight choreography in Arrow). It's really important in a movie that focuses on lower power levels to have choreography that looks like it actually works - and they managed to make it spectacular as well.

Oh, and thanks, Marvel, for ditching the awful Avengers uniform. The ones he wore in this movie were much better.

And they had a great Bucky.

So. Yeah. Uh...I actually may give this one a very rare five stars. There has to be stuff wrong with it, but I just can't find it right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment