Monday, February 18, 2019

Review: 1635: The Cannon Law

This is the other 1632 book, and I'm afraid I found it less fun than the other. Although "The Cannon Law" comes with a delightful pun in the title (it's all about church politics) and reads well for somebody unfamiliar with the world and for those who didn't read the book it's a sequel to, "The Galileo Affair," nowhere does it state that this is the middle volume of a trilogy.

Which it clearly is. It doesn't end, it reaches a "break point" and I didn't find it intriguing enough to want to get the other books (pro tip to publishers: Don't give out middle books in trilogies. Use the first one, it works much better).

Andrew Dennis is a good writer, don't get me wrong, and the book certainly has many redeeming moments. I particularly loved Ruy Sanchez de Casador y Ortiz, even if he was rather too obviously inspired (consciously or otherwise) by Sean Connery's character from Highlander. If he wasn't, then certain laws of fiction apply.

It's a fun read, but I was left so unsatisfied by the break point ending that it kind of ruined it for me. I'd suggest waiting until book 3 (not even listed as coming soon) is out before going with this one.

Sorry, but sometimes breaking one book into two, as appears to have happened here, doesn't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment