Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Review: 1634: The Ram Rebellion

I've so far avoided the 1632 series for the simple reason that I was afraid of developing a new addiction. I know some of the writers involved. For those who don't know: 1632 is a series in which the central conceit is that a small town from modern Western Virginia is somehow transported to 17th century Germany. And nobody cares about what this does to the timeline.

Somebody put not one, but two 1632 books in the World Fantasy book bag.

The first of these is "The Ram Rebellion." This is a mosaic novel of sorts, with the story told through a number of short pieces by different writers. Eric Flint and Virginia DeMarce are credited on the cover, but the book also includes work from Gorg Huff, Paula Goodlett, Stanley Leghorn, Rick Boatright, Kerryn Offord, John Zeek and Eva Musch.

It's very ra ra modern democracy in a way that sometimes gets trying, but otherwise tells a solid story about how German peasants in the 17th century are influenced by modern American ideas. The tone and feel is so consistent that it is hard to tell which pieces are written by which writers.

Oh, and the ram is named Brillo. Yes, there is an actual, literal ram.

One of the central themes of the book is the power of the press, for good and for ill.

I liked it. It didn't blow me away, and it didn't completely addict me to 1632 (good for my wallet and my shelf space). Fans will undoubtedly enjoy it, and I can vouch for the fact that it stands alone well.

Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment