Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Yes, Dogs have Empathy

 So, we have done a bunch of studies that prove what all dog people already knew.

Yes, your dog does know how you are feeling. Dogs even experience an increase in cortisol, a stress hormone, when they hear a baby crying...just as humans do. In other words, your dog wants to comfort your crying baby. (I will bet right now that if we checked cats...)

If you yawn, your dog yawns. And vice versa. I've caught myself yawning when I see a picture of a dog yawning.

They also discovered that dogs will pay more attention to somebody who is crying or laughing. Unless they don't know them, in which case they get kinda stressed.

So, yes, your dog coming over and begging for a cuddle when you're upset? They're coming to give you the hug they can tell you need.

I am pretty sure this absolutely applies to cats too. I've walked into a space with a cat when I was a bit depressed and it was clear that the kitty recognized I was...and came over to give me some purr therapy!

Horses, too. Horses can absolutely pick up on your mood and react accordingly.

But next time you're feeling depressed and your dog tries to climb into your lap, let them. They're only trying to help.


No comments:

Post a Comment