Friday, May 31, 2019

Bond and Phoebe Waller-Bridge

So, apparently, Phoebe Waller-Bridge was brought on to doctor the script for the next Bond movie.

Bond has always been my guilty pleasure. I'm a second generation fan, I've seen every movie (many of them more than once). People question how I can enjoy something which treats women in such a problematic way.

I think Waller-Bridge hit the nail on the head. She said "The new movie has to treat women right even if he doesn't."

The thing about the character of Bond is you root for him but at the same time, you wish he didn't have to exist. (A lot of Americans don't understand this. America has long had a different opinion of spies than the U.K.). And yes, he can be a misogynist. And he has to be or he's not Bond.

But that can be handled in a way which exposes and uses the complexities of the character. I still wish Craig wasn't doing another movie because he looked so done with it at the end of the last one, but this gives me hope that we can do something with a venerable and often problematic franchise.

No comments:

Post a Comment