Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Doctor Who?

It's not been a good week for Doctor Who fans. John Hurt, the War Doctor (Also known to a lot of you as Mr. Ollivander) died over the weekend after a long battle with cancer.

And today, Peter Capaldi announced that the 2017 Christmas Special will be his last outing as the Doctor.

So...Who will be next?

Some thoughts I like:

Ben Whishaw definitely has the right kind of personality and talent. However, he's Q, and doesn't think he should do both, so would likely turn the role down.

Sacha Dhawan has come up - I don't know much about him, but from what little I've seen, he has a certain intensity that would be appropriate. He is also Desi, and anyone who knows me knows I've been quietly campaigning for a Desi companion. A Desi Doctor would be even better.

Emma Watson - I hadn't thought of her, but when it was mentioned, I looked again. She has the Doctor's eyes. She definitely has that...which was the thing which made me overlook Matt Smith being "too young." I think it's particularly important that the first female Doctor, when we get one, has that look of "the old soul" behind her eyes.

The bookies also like Richard Ayoade, a comic actor (which is a good qualification). I haven't seen him act, though. Eyes are good, though, and he would be the first black actor to play the role.

(I'm not diversity hounding here, there's another black name in the mix that I don't like at all).

The Doctor has to have something that convinces that somewhere under the regenerations and the physical changes the same soul looks out from those eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment