Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Hugo Roundup: Best Short Story

Short story is often the strongest category due to the sheer amount of short fiction produced in any given year. I wouldn't be at all upset if any of these won.

"And Now HIs Lordship Is Laughing" by Shiv Ramdas - my least favorite of the stories, although I can see its merit.
"As The Last I May Know" by S.L. Huang - a take on the concept of the nuclear missile codes being implanted into somebody's heart and the President having to murder them to use them. Except they made it worse.
"Blood Is Another Word For Hunger" by Rivers Solomon - really, anything by Solomon is worth reading, although this is a dark story that verges on body horror.
"A Catalog of Storms" by Fran Wilde - gorgeous worldbuilding and beautiful prose.
"Do Not Look Back, My Lion" by Alix E. Harrow - again, some really interesting worldbuilding. Epic fantasy is hard in the short form.
"Ten Excerpts From An Annotated Bibliography On The Cannibal Women Of Ratnabar Island" by Nibedita Sen - an interesting experiment in form.

My pick: A Catalog of Storms
My prediction: A Catalog of Storms

No comments:

Post a Comment