Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Hugo Roundup: Best Graphic Story

Confession: Yeah, I'm a comic book fan.

I love my comic books. So, I have feelings about a couple of things on this list:

Die, Volume 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker - Kieron Gillen often hits my sweet spot, and this new creator-owned series is for RPG people everywhere. (It's a parody, but not in the sense of being funny...it's in conversation with D&D tropes). I love it, but it's a little more uneven than his previous work.

LaGuardia - okay, I have never been a huge fan of Okorafor. Apparently that's because...she's a better comic writer than prose writer. I may have to pick this book up just to own it in physical form. Gorgeous art and a story that pulls no punches.

Monstress, Volume 4: The Chosen - I still can't get into Monstress. It's the art. Sorry, guys.

Mooncakes - Cute lesbian witches. I mean cute here as a descriptor of the art. And the characters. It's not an insult.

Paper Girls, Volume 6 - Not my favorite Vaughn. Still not my favorite Vaughn. I don't like the ending. It feels like the reader is being told to grow up and set aside childish wonder. Possibly not intentionally.

The Wicked + The Divine, Volume 9: Okay - I have loved this book from issue one. I am biased. The ending was perhaps not quite up to par (it went on a bit after where it should have ended). But...it's Wic+Div.

My pick: The Wicked + The Divine
My prediction: LaGuardia, given Okorafor's popularity and that art.

No comments:

Post a Comment