Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Hugo Roundup: Best Fanzine

I don't generally read fanzines, so I wouldn't call myself an expert. This year's offerings are:

  • The Book Smugglers, editors Ana Grilo and Thea James - a review mag
  • Galactic Journey, founder Gideon Marcus, editor Janice Marcus, senior writers Rosemary Benton, Lorelei Marcus and Victoria Silverwolf - I LOVE the concept of this. They pretend they're in the Golden Age, and they do it so well.
  • Journey Planet, editors James Bacon, Christopher J Garcia, Alissa McKersie, Ann Gry, Chuck Serface, John Coxon and Steven H Silver - Always interesting analysis and discussion.
  • nerds of a feather, flock together, editors Adri Joy, Joe Sherry, Vance Kotrla, and The G - Same note.
  • Quick Sip Reviews, editor Charles Payseur - I'm not entirely convinced this belongs in this category rather than Best Fan Writer
  • The Rec Center, editors Elizabeth Minkel and Gavia Baker-Whitelaw - Rec as in recommendation. So another review blog.
My pick: Galactic Journey. I love the conceit.
My prediction: Probably Journey Planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment