Monday, December 30, 2019

The Saga "Ends" - Reactions to Rise of Skywalker

Okay, so, first of all? I liked it.

I liked it.

But I understand why some people didn't, because oh my gods the fanservice.

I liked the overall storyline. I liked the bickering between Finn and Poe. Everything else is spoilers, so I'm going to, ya know...blank line some here.


Okay, so!

Things I liked:

The cavalry charge on a Star Destroyer. "They're not using speedsters." This was just such an utterly Star Wars moment. The worldbuilding has always made it clear that riding animals exist alongside high tech options, may be the better choice in some circumstances.

And we got a cavalry charge.

On a Star Destroyer.

As already mentioned, the relationship between Finn and Poe was well developed and entertaining. Boyega is a better actor than Isaac and did carry more of the weight, but they did fine.

Daisy Ridley proved that she may be the best action star of her generation. She is a brilliantly physical actor, with a lot of body control, and I'm sorry Mark...Hamill never got the badass the way Ridley has. I'm not seeing anything about her next career move. Hey, Marvel. She'd make a really nice Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew). Then she can date Carol. Okay, I'll stop there. Bisexual brain, stop ;).

The hug. The entire set up of which guy is Rey going to choose and that three-way hug...

And I wonder who else remembered the significance of her new lightsaber at the end. So perfect for Rey's arc.

(And as my husband joked "In the end Palpatine won and the line of the Skywalkers ended).

Things I didn't like.

Poe's ex girlfriend. Really. That was such an example of cowardice at the editorial level. She served no purpose other than to "prove" Poe isn't gay. Meanwhile, Boyega and Isaac are playing them as practically married, because they have courage. Oh, and this is completely going to backfire on them because the actors then perfectly set up Finn-Rey-Poe. I wasn't shipping the polycule. Now I am.

Kelly Marie Tran deserved a bit more screen time as Rose Tico.

The nod to Reylo was another example of how "soulmates" somehow have to be romantic. Not always, people. I would have preferred a more "blood sibling" relationship.

Rey Solo forever. But that's just me. I understand why she took the name Skywalker. But the Wookiee says so, dang it.

There were some pacing issues. Some of the extended chase scenes needed to be a bit less extended.

Overall, though, I was quite satisfied.

And the yellow lightsaber. Perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment