Monday, December 9, 2019

Araña Countdown Post: Star Trek

I've been thinking a lot about my Star Trek influences this week, mostly because of the loss of D.C. Fontana.

Araña is, as the author's note (which is at the end) says, in conversation with Star Trek. Openly so. Characters refer to the show, it's in the ship's database. I made this as a conscious decision.

Star Trek is more than just 'that science fiction show,' it's part of our popular culture. Which means some of its tropes and assumptions are in our head. The Prime Directive, the way starships work. Araña engages with those tropes.

So I'm hoping it will appeal to Star Trek fans. And I'm hoping that it will in some ways touch on that milieu.

After all.

We all have that strong desire to go "Where No Man Has Gone Before."

No comments:

Post a Comment