Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Ah, Yes, Clothes...

I just had to replace my rain jacket. It's leaking. This jacket has done very good service so, of course, I wanted to replace it with the same brand.

Which is no longer carried by any outfitter in the DC area (the closest is Hanover). Why? Because "people have lost interest in ultralight jackets."

In the south. This jacket is (just about) wearable in DC summer. Anything even slightly heavier would result in heat exhaustion.

So, I resort to ordering it online and discover that while the exact jacket I had was discontinued, the replacement is readily available.

Men can get it in black, sage, navy, or nautical blue.

Women can get it in black, white, or various shades of eyebleeder.

Isn't this pointless gendering? (I ordered a men's jacket, because that has more space under it for layers anyway). If a man wants a fire engine red jacket, he can't get one, because it's only available in women's cuts, which don't fit men very well. If a woman wants navy, she has to get it in a men's size.

This sort of thing is so common. It's pointless gendering, and I don't get it. I don't get it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment