Monday, July 8, 2013

Doing Things You Never Thought You Could

I promised videographic evidence. It's coming. Well, half of it is. Unfortunately, the second video got corrupted and while the person who took it is *trying* to resurrect it, no promises.

I have a good friend, +Tim Ballew, who is one of those guys who likes to do crazy physical things like, you know, hiking up mountains, white water rafting, you name it, he's tried it.

I also firmly believe in trying any new experience I'm offered at least once. Yeah, these two things came together. Tim somehow managed to talk me into going to trapeze school.

Trapeze school. This is the girl who's strongest memories of her brief foray into scouting were being mocked in Brownies for not being able to do a cartwheel - no matter how hard I tried, I just could never do it. The girl who was yelled at by gym instructors because any idiot should be able to walk along a balance beam. You know, just walk, no tricks, nothing, without falling off. It's not that I "don't" do gymnastics. It's that I can't. I am no GOOD at that stuff.

But. Somehow I got talked into it. Here's what happened the first time I tried it.



Yeah. Much mid-air flailing. Go ahead, laugh. I did. All I was trying to do was trapeze 101, which is to bring your knees up and hook them over the bar. It's easy. Just not for always-picked-last-in-gym-class girl. Except that I realized.

The only thing making me no good at this was me. All I had to do was get out of my own way...and by the end of the class I could do it. (I wish I could show you, but that's the one that got eaten by gremlins).

Moral? If you know you can't do something but haven't tried it - try it. You never know. You might be wrong. And if you aren't wrong, then you haven't lost anything. Goes for writing. Goes for art. Goes for life.

(I will note that my abs were sore for days, though!)

(Video taken by Tim Ballew)

No comments:

Post a Comment