Friday, May 11, 2012

Review: Foundation by Mercedes Lackey

On the whole, I like Mercedes Lackey's work. It's good for a light read, when I want something I don't have to think that much about.

Foundation is her return to Valdemar after an extended creative break. Fans of the series will like it, and I definitely think it's better than To Take A Thief. (The break clearly did some good). However, I was personally confused about the timeline.

I thought from the description that it takes place before Vanyel. In fact, it takes place afterwards. It is also very much aimed at fans. If you aren't familiar with Valdemar, go find yourself a copy of Arrows of the Queen - Foundation rather assumes you know more about the theme and genre.

That said, it's more of the same in a good way. If you like Lackey's work, I recommend it. If you don't, then this isn't likely to change your opinion of her. Like most of her Valdemar books it would also be a good read for young adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment