Wednesday, May 25, 2011

One way trip to Mars?

Would you take it? I would warrant that the average science fiction writer would be more likely than most. But a surprising number of people said they would go to Mars even knowing there was no return ticket.

Of course, NASA would never contemplate such a thing, but the Chinese have been genetically screening their astronauts. If we aren't careful, they will have a colony on Mars within five to ten years because they are willing to take risks.

And we can't afford to have Mars colonized by only one ethnic group. We need to get as much human biodiversity up there as possible. If NASA won't do it, paralyzed by committees and safety concerns, who will?

And would you go?

1 comment:

  1. I would definitely volunteer my professional expertise to assist with a mission like that, but I don't know if I'd go myself (unless I were particularly old or somesuch). :)

    ReplyDelete