Tuesday, April 21, 2020

My Irritation With "The Magicians"

Overall, I like this show. It's not for, well, the overly sensitive (lots of swearing, people having sex all over the place, etc), but it's got it's charms. It's intentionally and overtly a dark, adult homage to Narnia.

I'm behind on the show because I don't like it as much as my superhero shows (ahem), but I just finished watching season 2...

...and there was a plotline in there that quite upset me.

I'm not somebody who gets overly upset by sexual violence as long as it's committed by the bad guy and there are consequences.

But the storyline goes like this:

Character is assaulted.

Character gets pregnant.

Character has an abortion.

Character literally loses part of her soul as a direct result of the abortion.

They were, I suspect, aiming for the attack being what turned her into a monster, but where they landed was, well...in this kind of victim blamey anti-abortion spot that left me a little bit uncomfortable.

Okay, a lot uncomfortable.

This is something to be careful of. Unless that's really the message you intend to send (by the way, I haven't read the books, so...let's leave Grossman out of it), make sure it's not the kind of message you send.

No comments:

Post a Comment