Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Locus Award Results

Taking a break from talking about the Hugos because I'm not through Fanzine yet.

Locus Magazine announced the winners of their awards on Saturday, so, here goes.

Science Fiction Novel: The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal. I can't argue with this one.
Fantasy Novel: Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik. My pick. Novik does fairy tales like no other.
Horror Novel: The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay. I don't read much horror, so...
Young Adult Novel: Dread Nation by Justina Ireland. Haven't read this one either.
First Novel: Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse. I like Roanhorse's short fiction better, but this is a worthy winner, although I haven't yet read The Poppy War, which I've heard good things about.
Novella: Artificial Condition by Martha Wells. Oddly, Okorafor wasn't even nominated here. No complaints on the winner, though.
Novelette: The Only Harmless Great Thing by Brooke Bolander. Uh, no. Just no. What do people like about this? I'm mystified.
Short Story: The Secret Lives of the Nine Negro Teeth of George Washington. I preferred A Witch's Guide to Escape, but this is a solid choice.
Anthology: The Book of Magic, ed. Gardner Dozois. Probably good. May have won on dead editor. I haven't read any of them.
Collection: How Long 'til Black Future Month? by N.K. Jemisin. Also haven't read it.
Magazine: Tor.com. Just sad Analog didn't win.
Publisher: Tor. Yeah.
Editor: Gardner Dozois. I would have given it to any of them. Okay, I don't give opinions on editors ;)
Artist: Charles Vess. He's not my favorite, but I can see it.
Non-Fiction: Ursula K. Le Guin: Conversations on Writing. I still prefer the Astounding book, but dead nominee here too.
Art Book: Charles Vess, The Books of Earthsea: The Complete Illustrated Edition. Decent choice.
Special Award: Mary Anne Mohanraj.

This may bode well for The Calculating Stars in the Hugos.

No comments:

Post a Comment