Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Requiem

So...I'm saving my con roundup until tomorrow. And it is not for good reasons.

I was helping my friend Joab Stieglitz with his vendor booth (paying for table space with labor) when I decided to check Facebook in a quiet moment to verify plans for the evening.

What I saw instead was a post from Michael Swanwick (We've hung out at cons a few times) announcing the passing of one of the greatest editors of our time).

There is nothing quite like getting news like that at a convention. I did not know Gardner Dozois well. We met, once, and the impression I had of him was positive.

But some people I consider to be past acquaintance and heading well towards friend did. The official announcement of Gardner's passing did not come for a couple of hours, but the news spread rapidly through the convention. It cast a pall. Perhaps not as much of one as it might have. Fandom has a habit of the "show must go on." (It was particularly hard for Neil Clarke, a special guest at the con, who was very close to Dozois).

There are not many who could match Gardner.

He edited Asimov's for 1984-2004, as well as numerous anthologies. He often worked with George R.R. Martin (the pair won the World Fantasy Award for Dangerous Women).

He won 40 Hugos (including Professional Editor 15 times), 40 Nebulas, and 30 Locus Awards. He should have been a Grand Master, but that rank is seldom given to those known primarily as editors. He did receive the Solstice Award for lifetime achievement in science fiction...not much more than a week ago and was in the Hall of Fame.

I'm going to link to Michael's obituary, because I can talk about awards...I can't talk about the man the way Michael can.

Yet despite that, I nearly burst into tears in the middle of the Balticon dealer room. As soon as Joab got back I walked to the con suite to write Gardner's name on the memorial wall (Somehow I was the first person there, perhaps everyone else who knew was still processing.

And dammit, dammit now I can't sell him a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment