Wednesday, July 7, 2021

R.I.P. Richard Donner

 If you're young and don't remember, Richard Donner directed the Lethal Weapon series, The Goonies, and the Christopher Reeve Superman movies...well, he directed the first two, but was removed from the second halfway through.

(There's a Donner cut available to see what he actually did with it, which was released in 2006).

This appeared to have been over a fight between Donner and the Salkinds that left nobody on speaking terms.

Oh, and they fired him by telegram. Wow. Drama. I never heard about it at the time because I was too young.

The good news was that this gave Reeve more creative control, a condition for continuing without Donner.

Donner was also responsible for Ladyhawke, and we won't even go there. Ahem. Although he did marry a producer...

But I'll be honest. Reeve will always be my Superman and Donner has to be in part responsible for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment