Thursday, January 31, 2019

I Love Libraries

Admittedly I haven't had enough time or need for reading material (eyes to-be-read pile) to visit mine recently.

But, when I was a child I lived in a town with a postage stamp sized library. I read through the entire children's section and had a good start on those adult books my parents would allow before we moved to a town with a larger library.

We made that move when I was seven.

My parents could never have afforded my book habit without libraries.

But I have sometimes heard the sentiment from authors that libraries are Bad.

Their grounds? All the people who borrow their book from a library would have bought it otherwise, therefore libraries steal sales.

To which I can only say: Stop.

Libraries are where people go who can't afford to buy or don't have space to buy the books they want to read.

Libraries are where people go to take risks on new authors without spending money.

Overdrive has partnered with libraries to let people use a mobile app instead of a library card to access e-collections without ever needing to set foot in a branch, and that is just so amazing for rural areas.

Libraries nurture readers. In some cases, libraries create readers.

There is nothing more short sighted than "libraries steal sales" because once your books are in libraries, libraries create fans.

Libraries are for readers and authors, and authors should be readers anyway.

On top of that, sometimes the internet fails you. Sometimes that piece of research information you need? "Google can get you 100,000 answers, a librarian can get you the right one."

If it wasn't so cold I'd go to my library right now just to thank the librarians.

(In fact, I'd like to just casually thank every librarian who's reading this. You are all wonderful and amazing).

No comments:

Post a Comment