Friday, December 29, 2017

Twice Upon A Time reactions

Don't read if you haven't watched it yet. Actually, if you haven't watched it yet, go - I'll be waiting.















Okay.

First of all, my initial reaction to Whittaker's Doctor is entirely positive. We only see a few moments of her, but the look on her face carried within it echoes of Ten, Seven and, dare I say it, Six. She's clearly done her homework and I can already see that she understands the character. But she's also going to be the anti-Capaldi. No more grumpy, cynical Doctor. Which I think is a good thing. A swing back to goofiness is good and the sense of wonder at herself and the universe she was showing. Yes, I'm very hopeful. (Although having watched an episode of DiP I'm no longer nearly as anti Marshall as I was. Maybe we can snag him in the future).

Chibnall's part of the episode showed a distinct difference in set up and camera work from the first part. Not bad, just different.

On the rest of the episode.

This is really the closest the creators have come to admitting that the Doctor is a fairy. (Because come on, they are - people travel with them and come back older and changed, they show up when least expected and most needed, and chaos travels in their wake).

And "There's no evil plan. I don't know what to do if there's no evil plan" is now my favorite Twelve line.

Goodbye Capaldi, you did great.

Hello, Whittaker, now show us what you can really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment