Monday, March 23, 2015

Review: Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence

Okay. I have to be honest.

I didn't like this book. It's much in the vein...very much in the vein of Richard K. Morgan's The Steel Remains, except with less cursing and casual use of slurs. I liked the one, so I should like this.

It boils down to the main character. Jal is meant to be a reluctant hero, but the way in which it's expressed means he comes over as somewhere between Adric and Luke at the start of A New Hope. Yeah. He whines.

The world is...odd. The use of historical names makes me want to put it in the Dark Ages, but it's clearly set after we nuked ourselves back to the Stone Age. Except...yeah. Instead of being cool, it's confusing. And while the magic system is interesting, it's not as well fleshed out as I'd like. The result was a book that felt as if it wanted to post apocalyptic science fiction - but ended up, for some reason, as fantasy.


It's well written. I'm sure some people, even a lot of people, will enjoy it - but it simply isn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment