Friday, January 13, 2012

Intelligences...

There's a picture circulating on the net that includes this quote from Albert Einstein:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid."

You know. I can totally get behind that. I'm a writer. I like to think of myself as a good writer. But I am lousy at math (to the point where I had to give up all thoughts of a career in science). I'm not very good, perhaps surprisingly, with linguistics and languages other than my mother tongue. Oh, and I can't draw.

But I can write. I can type 100 words per minute (rather handy for a writer). I'm pretty good at riding a horse, too. And I can explain things in a way people understand.

If you judged me by my ability to draw, I would go through my life believing I was stupid.

There are all kinds of intelligence out there. And society needs all of them. We need writers, mathematicians, translators, artists, photographers, auto mechanics, landscape gardeners...

So, my challenge today is to value those who are intelligent in a different way from you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment