Monday, December 5, 2011

Where are we going?

There's an article in today's Washington Post. (You can find it here).

A successful man with multiple graduate degrees took a standardized test for 10th graders.

He basically failed.

NOTHING in the test was relevant to real world success. None of the math questions were math anyone in an actual job needs.

With the results he got, he would have been told not to bother with college, that he wasn't smart enough.

Where are we going with this education system? I know I rant about it fairly often, but I was raised by a teacher, so I know a little more about education than most. In fact, the only reason I'm not a teacher is because I'm the wrong personality to keep control of 30 or 40 kids. If I have 4 or 5, I can teach them fine. Sigh.

What do we need to do to come up with an education system that works? Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment