Monday, August 3, 2020

Hugo Results!

So, I didn't watch the livestream. Apparently, this was a good decision.

I'm not going to go into anything about that, but just go through my thoughts on the winners.

Novel: A Memory Called Empire. I am amazed after all the hype that Gideon the Ninth didn't win, but perhaps it was too subjective. Either way, A Memory Called Empire WAS my personal favorite of 2019, so I'm happy.

Novella: This Is How You Lose The Time War. No surprise here.

Novelette: Emergency Skin by N.K. Jemisin. This was a very strong category, but the winner was...uncomfortable and deep and beautiful.

Best Short Story: As The Last I May Know by S.L. Huang. I still preferred the Wilde.

Best Series; The Expanse. No argument here.

Best Related Work: 2019 John W. Campbell Acceptance Speech. I'm still not convinced speeches should be eligible. Sorry.

Best Graphic Story or Comic: LaGuardia. I wanted Wic+Div to win in its last chance, but I can't complain about this beautiful story about immigration, prejudice, and community. Okorafor is a better comic writer than she is a prose writer.

Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form: Good Omens. Apparently the only person surprised by this was Gaiman.

Best Dramatic Presentaion, Short Form: The Good Place: The Answer. Yeah, I never got into that show.

Best Editor, Short Form: Ellen Datlow

Best Editor, Long Form: Navah Wolfe

Best Professional Artist: John Picacio. Did he win for his art or his activism? (His art is quite deserving).

Best Semiprozine: Uncanny Magazine. Really hard to call here.

Best Fanzine: The Book Smugglers. I still prefer fanzines that aren't just reviews, but can't argue with the quality.

Best Fancast: Our Opinions Are Correct. Yes. Absolutely. Chicon 8 made a great choice hiring these lovely ladies as the 2022 Toastmaster for the Hugos.

Best Fan Writer: Bogi Takacs. They deserve it.

Best Fan Artist: Elise Matthesen.

Lodestar Award for Best Young Adult Book: Catfishing on CatNet. I disagree, but my choice didn't even get nominated so what do I know? ;)

Astounding Award for the Best New Science Fiction Writer: R.F. Kuang. Not really a surprise, with the second year boost.

Congratulations to all the winners. Especially Arkady Martine...if we congratulate her enough she turns interesting colors!

No comments:

Post a Comment