Wednesday, October 17, 2012

I just love 3D printing.

Latest development? A 'filament' for 3D printers that prints off items that look, feel and even SMELL like they're made out of real wood. (It's made out of recycled wood and a polymer).

Another researcher is working on a system for printing...life forms. The idea is to be able to transport viruses from lab to lab without having to move them through the real world and also to disseminate vaccines more rapidly in the case of an epidemic. Of course, this could also do some real damage in the wrong hands.

Personally, still holding out hope that by the time I get old old they'll be able to print me off new organs when I need them.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the organ-printing, that's for sure.

    But I also agree that there are some scary possibilities as well. "Malware" has a whole new meaning with a 3D printer...

    ReplyDelete