I was just reminded it's pollinator week. So, here's a reminder on ways you can help bees and other pollinators:
1. Plant pollinator-friendly native plants in a corner of your garden. Plants that attract hummingbirds are better than a feeder and require less maintenance.
2. Do not use neonicotinoid pesticides in your yard. Also do not purchase plants that have been raised with the use of these pesticides, as residue can stay in the plants for years. Be especially careful if buying milkweed - make sure it's raised without pesticides.
3. Consider putting out a bee waterer.
4. Buy raw, local honey rather than supermarket crap - it's better for you and can even reduce seasonal allergy symptoms.
5. If it's not a hazard and you have a dead tree or limb, leave them undisturbed to provide nesting habit for certain kinds of bee.