Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Memories

The theme of this year's World Fantasy Con was the 100th anniversary of the start of World War I.

For this reason, somebody had the bright idea of giving everyone poppies attached to their badges.

I'm British, so the poppy as a symbol is very important. Wearing a red poppy started out as honoring World War I veterans.

The poppy represents the poppies that grew profusely across No Man's Land and the trenches after the war was over - their red color resembling freshly spilled blood.

I clearly remember everyone wearing poppies on Remembrance Sunday - the closest Sunday to November 11. Some people would wear white poppies for pacifism, but I've always felt that supporting veterans is far, far from the same thing as being in favor of any war that happens.

So, let's honor all veterans today - not just those of World War I on the centennial, but all of them.

And most especially living veterans, many of whom are let down by our society.

No comments:

Post a Comment