Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Next Big Thing

Got tagged for this one by Nobilis Reed. (Warning, text on this page is NSFW, just in case you don't know that Nobilis is never SFW).

My Next Big Thing is my debut novel, "Transpecial", which will be released this year.

1: What is the working title of your book? Transpecial

2. Where did the idea for the book come from? Initially, I had the idea of a being that was transformed from one species to another, hence the title. That mutated into a bridge between species - a diplomat.

3. What genre does it fall under? Space opera

4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Hrm. In an ideal dream world: Summer Glau would play the main character, Suza McRae, a high functioning autistic and linguistic genius (she does the not-quite-normal thing so well). Warren Taylor, the expert who tries to mentor her is a tough one. Maybe Ralph Fiennes, except now he's M to me forever. Haniyar would have to be CGI anyway.

5. What is the one sentence synopsis of your book? After humanity started the war, one young woman is tasked to end it.

6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? It will be published by wonderful e-publisher Musa Publishing, under their Urania imprint.

7. How long did it take you to write the first draft? About forty days.

8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? Tough one again...I'm not very good at title comps. I like to think there might be a little bit of classic Heinlein in there (except without the inability to write women well). And I'm probably daydreaming.

9. Who or what inspired you to write this book? Honestly, it started with a random idea and the title.

10. What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?

A lot of books are written about fighting wars. I like a good slice of military science fiction myself. The twist in Transpecial is that it's not about the people fighting the war. It's about the people trying to end the war. I jokingly call it 'diplomatic science fiction'.

So, now I need to do some ongoing tags.

+Tim Dodge - because we haven't talked in too long.
+Rebecca Blain - because she's doing crowdfunding and needs all the publicity she can get for that.
+Michael Shean - because his first book was pretty cool and I want to find out what he's doing next.

7 comments:

  1. I am, occasionally, SFW. I admit, it's rare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I miss that Transpecial is being published?! That is so awesome. I still have one of your drafts of it on my hard drive. Let's catch up this week -- I'll try to remember to log in to AIM at work tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I told you. Obviously you don't follow my blog enough ;).

      Delete
  3. Ohai! It's awesome to see that something like Transpecial is being published - I'm looking forward to reading it once it comes out. Jennifer: put another novel out last July, and the sequel to 'Shadow of a Dead Star', which is entitled 'Redeye', will be out in April. Getting my copy of Analog this month, by the way. Think I can get you to autograph it via Greg? ;)

    ReplyDelete