Thursday, August 18, 2011

Your Best Shot

So, there I was on the Llandudno Promenade when I heard a roar. If you have ever heard a high performance jet aircraft, you won't mistake it for anything else. Needless to say, I looked up...

...in time to see the Red Arrows roaring towards the beach. For those who don't know, this is the RAF's equivalent of the Blue Angels. They were coming in fairly low and reasonably fast, and I only had seconds to react. I pulled out my camera and snapped a shot, then said to my husband, "Not a chance."

I meant not a chance that the photo would come out. I only have a little snapshot camera, and I'm only a 'reasonably competent' photographer. But when I got back home and cataloged the photos, I found this:


Not bad for a little snapshot camera! I couldn't believe it actually worked.

What does this have to do with writing? A lot of people are afraid to submit to major magazines. They will never get accepted. To which I say, you have no chance of being accepted if you don't submit. I would have had no chance of getting that picture if I'd reacted as many people would and refused to believe there was a chance of making the shot.

So, take your best shot. It doesn't cost much and you never know what might happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment